Form 486 Preparation Tips
FCC Form 486, Receipt of Service Confirmation Form, is a form that must be filed by an applicant before any E-rate payments can be made to a vendor.
Hence, before any discounts or reimbursements payments can be made to a school or library. Its purpose is to alert the SLD that services, on which discounts have been approved (as indicated in a funding letter), are indeed being provided by the vendor.
Detailed instructions for completing and mailing a Form 486 can be found:
- The Forms Rack on this Web site, and
- On the SLD Web site at: SLD Forms. You may also refer to Form 486 Filing Guidance.
Fillable versions of Form 486, and other E-rate forms, are available in our Forms Rack. These files can be used online or can be downloaded for future use.
Take the time to carefully review the associated Funding Commitment Decisions Letter ("FCDL") before completing and submitting any Form 486.
- See E-Rate Central's suggestions for Review of FCDL.
- The Form 486 can be submitted only after receiving a Funding Commitment Decisions Letter ("FCDL"). Take the necessary time to review the FCDL and to complete the Form properly, but understand that the invoicing process for discounts and reimbursements cannot be initiated before the Form is filed and accepted.
- Improperly filed Forms will be returned to the applicants for correction, further delaying E-rate benefits.
- Applicants contesting the amount of a funding commitment decision should proceed with the filing of a Form 486 including the associated Funding request Number ("FRN"). Applicants appealing the denial of funds on a specific line item should not file a Form 486 with that FRN.
Use the most current version of Form 486.
- Check the bottom right hand corner of every page to ensure you are using the most recent Form 486.
- Previous versions of the Form 486 will no longer be accepted by the SLD.
Filing deadlines and CIPA certifications are critical.
- Generally, the Form 486 must be postmarked no later than 120 days after the date of the applicant's Funding Commitment Decision Letter ("FCDL") or the Service Start Date on any listed funding request ("FRN").
- For Funding Year 2002 and later, special filing instructions are provided for Form 486s filed before July 31.
- Because filing deadlines depend on a combination of funding years, FCDL dates, and Service Start Dates, applicants should carefully review the detailed situation descriptions provided in the Form 486 Instructions.
- If a Form 486 filing deadline is missed, the applicant may receive discounts for only a portion of the year, not from the original Service Start Dates.
- An applicant receiving E-rate discounts only for telecommunications services is not required to comply with CIPA filtering and policy requirements, and may check Box 11c.
- An applicant receiving discounts on Internet access and/or internal connections services must check either Box 11a, that they are in compliance with CIPA, or Box 11b, that they are undertaking actions to be in compliance by the following year. Generally, the "undertaking action" option is available only to applicants awarded funding in Funding Year 2001, the 2001-2002 program year.
- Consortium leaders, filing a Form 486 for Internet access and/or internal connections services, must first collect Form 479s from all of their members. The Form 479 requires comparable CIPA certifications by each eligible member. Consortiums must be careful to allow sufficient lead times to collect Form 479s in order to meet the Form 486 deadlines.
A computerized version of Form 486 is available on the Web.
- A Form 486 can be completed online in the "Apply Online" section of the SLD web site.
- A copy of Form 486 can be downloaded in PDF format and printed from the SLD web site.
- Fillable versions of Form 486 (and other E-rate forms) are available in several formats in the Forms Rack section of this Web site. These versions can be used online or can be downloaded for subsequent use.
Incorrect SPINs shown in FCDLs should be corrected when filing a Form 486.
- One of the most common problems that must be resolved before filing a Form 486 is an incorrect SPIN. The Supplier Provider Identification Number may be wrong because it was entered incorrectly in the Form 471, because the SLD mis-keyed it during data entry, or because the vendor changed the number.
- To correct, or change, a SPIN, the SLD has suggested that the applicant write a
letter to the SLD including all the appropriate information (applicant name,
471 application number, billed entity number, original and corrected SPIN, and
contact information). The letter should be faxed to (973) 599-6526 or mailed
Schools and Libraries Division
Box 125 - Correspondence Unit
80 South Jefferson Road
Whippany, NJ 07981
- Once the letter has been written, the Form 486 can be filed using the correct SPIN. It is recommended that a copy of the correction letter be included with the Form 486.