Form 500 Adjustment to Funding Commitment and Modification to Receipt of Service Confirmation
FCC Form 500, Adjustment to Funding Commitment and Modification to Receipt of Service Confirmation Form, is a form that can be filed by an applicant to either:
- Change a service start date or a contract expiration date; or
- Cancel or reduce a funding commitment.
Detailed instructions for completing and mailing a Form 500 can be found:
Fillable versions of Form 500 (and other E-rate forms) are available in several formats in the Forms Rack section of this Web site. These versions can be used online or can be downloaded for subsequent use.
- For the any E-rate program year, technically ending June 30, the FCC established a grace period to allow applicants until September 30 to install equipment or otherwise use E-rate discounts for non-recurring expenses.
- If the original contract, under which a discount was approved, expires before the end of the grace period, an applicant needing to take advantage of the extra time must: (a) work out a contract extension with the vendor; and (b) so notify the SLD by filing a Form 500.
- Since funding applications are typically submitted well before the start of an E-rate program year, applicants may later find that the SLD has awarded funds in excess of their actual needs. Once it becomes clear that all or a portion of the awarded discounts are not going to be used, the applicant should file a Form 500 to cancel or reduce the funding commitment.
- Reducing or canceling funding that cannot be used is not a formal requirement, but is a highly recommended and good faith action that should be undertaken by all E-rate applicants.
- The sooner the SLD is notified that all or a portion of previously awarded funds are not needed by the original applicant, the greater is the possibility that these funds can be awarded to another needy applicant.
- Submission of a Form 500 to reduce or cancel a funding commitment is an irreversible action. Once funding is reduced, it cannot be restored. An applicant should not file a Form 500 to reduce funding unless it is sure that the service will not be used in that program year or that the original expense estimate was clearly too high.